Year 4 - Team Phoenix
Learning makes knowledge and knowledge makes magic, let's rise from the ashes to be the best we can be!
Term 5- Summer 1
- Book bags are to be sent in on Mondays, but only when your reading record needs signing. Remember, all books count towards the Space Invaders reading challenge.
- Homework will be set on Fridays and needs to be returned the following Thursday. This will be a maths worksheet and sometimes a SPAG activity.
- Spellings will also be set on Fridays to be tested the following Friday. You will have been provided with the spellings for the whole half term, with the dates for each test written next to each list. Please use each spelling in a sentence and choose two of the other activities each week.
- If your child wishes to complete extra work at home, please feel to use the homework book for this.
- I will be keeping track of which children read regularly at home, and those who bring their homework books back regularly. There will be a special treat for these children at the end of the half term :).
This Term's Topic is...
In Science we will be learning to:
- identify and describe the functions of different parts of flowering plants: roots, stem/trunk, leaves and flowers
- explore the requirements of plants for life and growth (air, light, water, nutrients from soil, and room to grow) and how they vary from plant to plan
- investigate the way in which water is transported within plants
- explore the part that flowers play in the life cycle of flowering plants, including pollination, seed formation and seed dispersal.
In Geography we will be learning to:
- Use fieldwork to observe, measure, record and present the human and physical features in the local area using a range of methods, including sketch maps, plans and graphs, and digital technologies.
- Taking a walk around the village to explore the local area.
- Creating questionnaires to find out what is needed/wanted in the village.
We will also be learning about different faiths in RE this half term (including Sikhism and Buddhism).
In art, we will be learning about the works of Georgia O'Keeffe.
We will also be visiting the allotment to bring our plant knowledge to life!
- We are Team Phoenix and we are all incredible and unique!
- Miss Trotter is the team leader, but could not do her job without the amazing children in her class.
- Mrs Jenkinson works with us every morning to help us learn and be the best we can be.
- Miss Wade will teach the class every Thursday afternoon when it is Miss Trotter's PPA time.
- We will be learning Yoga from a professional instructor this half term. This will be on Tuesday afternoons.
- The other PE lesson will now be on Fridays. Please make sure you have an appropriate indoor and outdoor kit in school.
Extra Fun Learning!
Some exciting things we have done so far this year include...
- Roman Day- we all looked like gods and goddesses for the day, and even baked Roman bread to have as part of our feast!
- Kelham Island Trip- We visited the old factory to learn about World War Two and what life was like.
- Gymnastics- We were taught some really tricky gymnastics by a professional teacher!
- Rugger'eds- We had a go at playing rugby and got really muddy!
- Mediterranean food- We spent time researching, designing and creating delicious meals from our chosen Mediterranean country. I'm sure we all agree the best part was the tasting!
- Dragons' Den Day- we designed and presented a new product for rabbits... and we were lucky enough to spend the morning with Betty and Billy (Miss Trotter's rabbits).
- World Book Day- We loved looking silly dressed as our favourite book characters!
- Sign Language- Miss Trotter's partner taught us how to say the alphabet in sign language, as well as some useful phrases.
- Yoga- We were taught some relaxing yoga by a professional teacher!